Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Weird tape drive behavior

2006-03-23 14:29:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Weird tape drive behavior
From: Young.Song AT NOVELLUS DOT com (Song, Young)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:29:26 -0800

I just installed a new tape library Sun L100 with 3 x LTO-2 drives and one
of the drives keeps showing weird behaviors.

I believe I have all the proper SCSI terminations, drive mapping, etc.

It tries to mount a tape, position it, but sits there for a long time and
fails with the following error:

Positioning L01101 to file
Error bptm (pid=9063) ioctl (MTWEOF) failed on media id L01101, drive index
0, I/O error (bptm.c.17692)
Error bptm (pid=9063) FROZE media id L01101, could not write tape mark to
begin new image

When I tried using the mt command and run a tar backup on the drive, it went
successful and was OK when I tried positioning a tape back and forth to see
if I could back up or restore, so I tend to believe that the drive itself
may not be bad.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

- Young