Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: on the subject of disk based backups....

2006-03-23 12:17:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: on the subject of disk based backups....
From: andrew.x.smith AT jpmchase DOT com (andrew.x.smith AT jpmchase DOT com)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:17:29 +0000
--=_alternative 005EFBDD8025713A_=

Afternoon,

  I don't have the kit to test this, but I would expect the CPU hit to be
pretty similar for VTL and DSU/DSSU. They're both simply writing data to a
SCSI device, but the DSU/DSSU will have whatever overhead a filesystem
puts on your system which I would expect to be pretty small where it is
sequential writes of large files (not sure but using directio mount option
may improve DSU performance where available like on Solaris). The number
of concurrent jobs is really going to be down to your hardware specs, ie
how many disk spindles are u writing to, how many HBA's are you writing
via, and do u have enough CPU power and internal bus bandwidth to IO
saturate the backup devices,

                cheers Andy.

Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
23/03/2006 16:52