Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP, Mirapoint E-Mail Appliance and Speed

2006-03-22 09:10:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP, Mirapoint E-Mail Appliance and Speed
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:10:35 -0500
You say you have duplex "locked at the switch."

What about at the NIC?
If you force duplex at the switch and don't force the NIC, you'll most
likely end up at 100/HALF, (for both the 100Mb/s and the GigE
connections.)

Also, for what it's worth, you shouldn't force speed/duplex on GigE
connections.

Auto Negotiate is required on GigE for proper flow control.

Auto Negotiate is not to be feared....With current hardware, you'll
rarely see problems unless you have a configuration mismatch (one end of
connection auto, and the other forced.)

According to the IEEE docs, the "proper" behaviour when an interface is
set to auto-neg and is connected to a "forced" interface, is for the
"auto" interface to drop to the "lowest assumed functional" mode,
(typically Half duplex 100Mb/s)

Paul