Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Media Server

2006-03-10 20:36:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Media Server
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:36:30 +1100
------=_Part_19660_26665560.1142040990030

If you have tape drives dedicated to the media server, you don't need SSO.
If the Exchange box will only be backing itself up, you only need a SAN
Media Server, which is a bit cheaper than a "full" Media Server.
A basic DR implication is that you would need a similar tape drive at the
recovery site connected to the recovery Exchange server (although there are
ways around this).

However, in my opinion, running Exchange and NBU Media Server on the same
box is far from ideal. There's too many ways the Media Server could
adversely affect Exchange, and vice-versa.

Have you considered backing them up over Gigabit Ethernet, perhaps even a
dedicated backup LAN ?

On 3/10/06, Brandon Zermeno < Brandon.Zermeno AT pulte DOT com> wrote:

>  Does anyone have and info about making an Exchange server a Media server=
?
> We are running NBU 6 on Win2k3, Exchange 2k3 on a SAN. We are looking at
> making one of the Exchange cluster nodes a Media server to handle the bac=
kup
> to disk to tape. What would the repercussions be of this in a disaster
> recovery mode?
>

> Thanks
>
> Brandon
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email may contain confidential and
> privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  Any
> review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sende=
> immediately by email and delete the message and any file attachments from
> your computer.  Thank you.

------=_Part_19660_26665560.1142040990030

If you have tape drives dedicated to the media server, you don't need SSO.<=
br>If the Exchange box will only be backing itself up, you only need a SAN =
Media Server, which is a bit cheaper than a &quot;full&quot; Media Server.
he recovery site connected to the recovery Exchange server (although there =
are ways around this).<br><br>However, in my opinion, running Exchange and =
NBU Media Server on the same box is far from ideal. There's too many ways t=
he Media Server could adversely affect Exchange, and vice-versa.
n 3/10/06, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Brandon Zermeno</b> &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:Brandon.Zermeno AT pulte DOT com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return
top.=
js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">

Brandon.Zermeno AT pulte DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote
class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0=
pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div style=3D"direction: ltr;">

>Does anyone have and info about making an
Exchange server a Media server? We are running NBU 6 on Win2k3, Exchange 2k=
3 on
a SAN. We are looking at making one of the Exchange cluster nodes a Media
server to handle the backup to disk to tape. What would the repercussions b=
e of

TICE:&nbsp; This email may contain confidential and privileged material for=
 the sole use of the intended recipient(s).&nbsp; Any review, use, distribu=
tion or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.&nbsp; If you have rece=
ived this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e=
mail and delete the message and any file attachments from your computer.&nb=
sp; Thank you.

------=_Part_19660_26665560.1142040990030--