Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bparchive

2006-03-08 11:47:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bparchive
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:47:14 -0700
I think you're overworrying this.

bparchive, a misnomer, IMO, is just bpbackup with a twist.

If, and only if, the backup to tape is successful then the primary file is
deleted.  I've never fed it a directory, just files, so I've never stumbled
on this little behavior described in the tech bulletin.  We use this command
constantly, to keep filesystems clean.  It's a little like poor-man's HSM.

For our most critical data, the stuff the SEC cares about, we do a double
backup, first feeding the list of files to be backed up to bpbackup, then,
if the return code is 0, feeding the same list to bparchive using a
different tape pool.  We could probably use ITC for this but when we started
the process it wasn't available. I've never tested the bparchive & ITC
interaction.

Netbackup happily expiring your archive is what I'd expect.  When you
specify policy & schedule on your bparchive command you're selecting this
behavior.  Our SEC stuff writes to an 8-year retention.  If you don't want
to expire your data, then feed it to a policy/sched that has infinite
retention.

My only complaint about bparchive (other than the name is misleading) is
that to restore or list the archived files (bprestore & bplist), you have to
specify the "-A" flag.  Why treat the restores any differently, I've always
wondered.

Anyway, my $.02.

-M