Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] D2D backups

2006-03-08 09:47:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] D2D backups
From: michael AT michaelbarrow DOT name (Michael L. Barrow)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:47:49 -0800
Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com wrote:
> Netapp presented their VTL to me.  It's pretty good but I'm also interested
> in possible automated D2D offsites.

I'm using several NearStore VTL (NSVTL) units.

> What I want is a block-oriented duplication to a remote device, 1000 miles

This is why I chose the NSVTL. Although they don't support block-level
replication between NSVTLs, the hardware can be converted back to a
regular NetApp via a software load. Then, you get access to SnapMirror
and SnapVault technologies. Perhaps they will add some of that stuff to
the VTL product as they integrate the Alacritus work into their
portfolio better. Although, the VTL is not using WAFL which means that
they might have to redo a bunch of code. Heck, I don't know; I'm purely
speculating at this point.

You might be able to simulate this functionality now by putting network
accelerators at either end of an FCIP link between two NSVTLs that are
set up in a tape cloning configuration.

> Netbackup would still be the software layer.  I'd like an appliance head or
> just software solution I can hang in front of anybody's disks.

My strategy also works nicely with NetBackup due to the tight
integration between the companies' products. I'm looking at VTLs as a
transitional technology as we redesign our backup processes to be more
accommodating to something purely disk-based.

--
Michael L. Barrow
michael at michaelbarrow dot name