Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] should you move live media to a new pool - tho ughtit woudl fail

2006-03-07 19:24:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] should you move live media to a new pool - tho ughtit woudl fail
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:24:50 +1100
------=_Part_10934_9545991.1141777490111

Simon,

Bob already mentioned the easiest way to fix this. Just duplicate the image=
to the pool you want them in, then expire the original copy of those images=
.
(bpexpdate -backupid xxxxx  -d 0 -copy 1)

Cheers,
Dean

On 3/7/06, WEAVER, Simon <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:

> Monte
> But why bother?? That's a lot of effort to move tapes - they may as well
> stay where they are, and increase the expiry time :-)
>
> I just wanted to be sure there was no "easy" method to do this!
> Thanks
>
> Simon Weaver
> Technical Support
> Windows Domain Administrator
>
> EADS Astrium
> Tel: 02392-708598
>
> Email: Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net

images to the pool you want them in, then expire the original copy of those=
 images. (bpexpdate -backupid xxxxx &nbsp;-d 0 -copy 1)</div>
EAVER, Simon</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT
net">simon=
.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid"><br>Monte<br>But why bother?? Th=
at's a lot of effort to move tapes - they may as well<br>stay where they ar=
e, and increase the expiry time :-)
ef=3D"mailto:Simon.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net">
Message-----=
com">m=
Simon=
;=20
net</a><br>C=
c: <a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu">veritas-bu@mailman.=
eng.auburn.edu</a><br>Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] should you move live media =
to a new pool -
 a media to a new pool.&nbsp;&nbsp;You would need to involve<br>VERITAS tec=
h support or consulting since the mediaDB entry must be deleted<br>and the =
only way to add it back is to use engineering tools that tech
heck and mediadbadd).&nbsp;&nbsp; VERITAS consulting has a great service<br=
>that will use NBCC to validate all of your catalogs, do any moves and<br>c=
lean up any inconsistencies.
ginal Message-----<br>From: <a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT
eng.=
auburn.edu">
veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br>[mailto:<a
href=3D"mailto:ve=
ritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT
eng.auburn.=
edu</a>] On Behalf Of WEAVER, Simon<br>Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 6:00 AM
fjserv DOT net=
</a>'<br>Cc: '<a href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu">veritas-=
bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a>'<br>Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] should you
move=
 live media to a new pool -
m!! (people who know better!!)<br><br>Sure this was the case, but my unders=
tanding is this:<br><br>1) When a Media ID (or volume if you want to call i=
t that) is assigned to a
expired or manually expired or<br>deassigned<br>3) There are valid images o=
n the media - trying to deassign could lose them<br>(or cause issues)<br>
4) Should plan better when using Volume Poole<br><br>Any comments welcome<b=
.Weaver AT Astrium.eads DOT net">
Message-----=
net">d=
Sim=
on
edu">veritas-bu@ma=
ilman.eng.auburn.edu</a>'<br>Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] should you move live=
 can change volume pools of a tape if it has images on it.
Could I get clarification? If I ran a Month end backup with a 1 year<br>
&gt; retention, but it accidently directed into a wrong volume pool, am I<b=
r>&gt; right in saying it cannot be moved?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; I thought if you=
 deassigned a media ID from a volume, Netbackup would<br>&gt; forget about =
it and treat it as a new tape?? Clarification please if
th=
e intended addressee only.<br>&gt; If you have received it in error then yo=
u must not use, retain,<br>&gt; disseminate or otherwise deal with it. Plea=
se notify the sender by
te<br>&gt; the views of EADS Astrium Limited.<br>&gt; Nothing in this email=
 shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract<br>&gt; or obligation.
2449259<br>&gt; Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordsh=
 addressee only.
eminate or otherwise deal with it.<br>Please notify the sender by return em=
ail.<br>The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of=
 EADS
d in England and Wales No. 2449259<br>Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road,=
 Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
u maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng=
.auburn.edu">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mai=
lman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu">
mail is for the intended addressee only.<br>If you have received it in erro=
r then you must not use, retain, disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
y not necessarily constitute the views of EADS Astrium Limited.<br>Nothing =
in this email shall bind EADS Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation=
.
r>Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS, =
illist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;
mailman DOT eng=
.auburn.edu</a><br><a href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinf=