Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cleaning issues: LTO-3/ADIC i2k and NBU 5.1 MP3

2006-03-06 15:55:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cleaning issues: LTO-3/ADIC i2k and NBU 5.1 MP3
From: gdrew AT deathstar DOT org (George Drew)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:55:06 -0500 (EST)
Well, frequency-based cleaning is up to you. Not recommended in an SSO
environment, as drive-in-use time is tracked on each media server, and
you will end up attempting to over-clean your drives. You'd have
to check with your drive vendor, but I know that a lot of drives will
ignore a cleaning tape if it doesn't think it needs cleaning, or if
it's too soon.

As I said before though, don't worry about those lights. Netbackup
checks tapealert on mount and dismount, and as long as you have a
cleaning tape configured that still has cleanings left, netbackup
will take of cleaning with no hassle. If you start seeing a lot of
media errors you might be having some problems with drive cleaning,
but mostly it just works.

George

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Greenberg, Brian wrote:

> That's fantastic.  So I should probably do frequency based cleaning then
> until I go to NBU 6.0?  The drives seem to need cleaning after about 500
> or 600 hours of use.
>
> Regards,
>                   Brian

>>> the
>>> drive.  Barcode rules also wouldn't have anything to do with it