Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Nemanja-Backup network problem

2006-03-02 12:56:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Nemanja-Backup network problem
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:56:36 -0600
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:55:25AM -0500, Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) wrote:

> We do it like this..
>
> All DNS points to the front net Ips (172.17.x.x in your case) and we put
> local host files including the backup server (master,media) and clients
> Ips on the Back End (192.168.8.x) on each machine.  That forces those
> machines to use the back end nic for backups.
>
> Using DNS is tricky, because you want DNS to point to yoru front end for
> normal applications.  If you don't need DNS for your front end, then
> that is certainly a first for me.

Yuck.  We use DNS exclusively.  We register two names for the hosts -
one on the front-side network and one for the backup network.  For those
cases where the server doesn't have backup network interface but is
expected to have one soon, we'll add a CNAME entry for the backup
network DNS entry to point to the front side, but in general we don't
like doing that.  DNS and the appropriately configured routing tables
are all we need.

This works like a charm and the right thing happens.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org