Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Nemanja-Backup network problem

2006-03-02 09:37:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Nemanja-Backup network problem
From: JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:37:35 -0500
Windows is probably confusing the routing of the front and back end NICs
and this performance issue is probably not limited to Netbackup but
probably other networked applications as well.

We found that Windows 2003 is much more picky about network routing than
2000.  For example we use a 10.10.1.0 network for the routable front end
and 10.10.2.0 for our backend (non-routable.)  Even if the system is
correctly setup to find the host its trying to backup on the back-end
(correct IP / Host lookup) if your default gateway is on the front end,
its going to route that traffic through the front end, even though it is
trying to talk to a system on the back end.  With multiple default
gateways both assigned the metric 1 its basically a toss up which
interface it will use (which really complicates the matter!)

1 - make sure you only have 1 default gateway setup on the front end!!
(I'm assuming your backend isn't routed.)

2 - Make sure your systems all resolve correctly, either by using "sudo"
DNS (aka Server1 and Server1-be DNS Entries) or by using hosts files to
ENSURE the systems are talking on the backend.

3 - run a "route add" command on your multi-homed servers and force them
to route traffic from the backend to the backend.

Usually steps 1 and 2 work, and I've only had to add route statements
for DMZ servers with firewall issues and special routing involved to
complicate the matter.

Good luck!

-Jonathan