Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.x conflict with Legato

2006-02-24 10:35:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.x conflict with Legato
From: Bhangui.Sandeep AT bls DOT gov (Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:35:07 -0500
Hello
        We are in the process of migrating from Legato Networker to
Veritas Netbackup. We are in the testing mode for Netbackup but there is
enough pressure to start rolling out Netbackup. I was wondering whether
anyone on this list has seen the following behiavour.

I have a Solaris 8 box which acts as a Legato Server and backing up
other clients to a L25 2 tape drive (DLT 8000) with 20 slots jukebox.
The backups are running fine.

I have gone ahead and installed the Veritas Netbackup Server on the same
server which has one more JUKE box attached to it ADIC Scalar 24 (LT02
two tape drives and 20 slots). I am in the process of configuring the
ADIC jukebox with Netbackup and other clients. Presently Netbackup is
not in a opertaional mode just the services are running and
configurtaion is in progress.

But as soon as I run "sgscan" on the server it sees everything correctly
that is both the jukeboxes and other stuff.
But the minute when the command has finished running. It somehow
disables the functionlaity of the L25 Jukebox through Legato. What I
mean by disabling functionality is through Legato I cannot unmount or
mount anything using the GUI. I cannot run "nsrjb" command at the server
nor can I delete the jukebox completely through Legato and recreate it.
Every time I try to run an jukebox related Legato command I get "I/O
Error and MODE_SENSE Failed error".

The only way I have found to fix this is "turn of the server" disconnect
the scsi cables at both ends from the two libraries reset the libraries
connect the cables back and turn the server on. Once that is done I can
use all commands to access the L25 Jukebox through Legato.  I can
recreate this as I have tried this three times with the same result was
wondering has anyone else seen this.

Thanks
Sandeep