Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New to Windows media servers

2006-02-23 11:50:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New to Windows media servers
From: JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:50:22 -0500
To say this is not pretty would be an understatement.

We've run something similar, and thankfully we've purchased some new
hardware and are getting away from this model.  My tips would be as
follows.

1 - Separate "Site" Storage Groups so you don't run backups across the
wan.

2- "c:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\vmphyinv" -rn 0 -verbose
This command will physically mount each tape, and scan the header
information to update your volume configuration.  It takes about 20
minutes, but its accurate.

At least this way your backups will run, but the local operator still
has to physically label each tape with a slot - tape comparison.
Perhaps you can automate a report and email it to them.

We had one site like this that was a nightmare.  We eventually made that
site a master, and then later purchased a ATL w/ barcode reader.

-Jonathan