Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: SAN Media Server Backup Another Client (WEAVER, Simon)

2006-02-22 09:45:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: SAN Media Server Backup Another Client (WEAVER, Simon)
From: marcel.drunenvan AT nl.unisys DOT com (Drunen van, Marcel)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:45:57 +0100
Simon,

I have done this a couple of times for customers. If you can make copies
of your LUNs on your SAN storage, you can bind these on one of your
media servers and then make a backup. You can control the whole process
by using start/end scripts. The script will run before a backup, it will
start the snapshot/BCV/SANcopy, or whatever you are using, binds it to
your media server. Then the backup will start. The end script will
unbind the snapshot volume. You can also leave the snapshot at the media
server, and perform all the actions in the start script.

The functionality is also implemented in the Advanced Client, though I
don't think the combination of a SAN media server with an advanced
client will work, because San servers cannot backup other clients.

What sort of San storage are you using? I am familiar with EMC stuff.

CU,

Marcel