Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup to disk -- performance?

2006-02-22 08:47:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup to disk -- performance?
From: eyamada AT diveo.net DOT br (Edson Noboru Yamada)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:47:06 -0300

Hi,

We´ve been asked to examine a backup to disk solution (rather than the
traditional
backup to tape).

It´s clear that restores are so much faster, but one point I still don´t
understand it´s about backup performance: LTO2 drives can support
a throughput like 50 MB/s or even more; serial ATA disks are able to do
something similar?
(even considering issues like file system fragmentation that happens over the
time?)
If disks are really faster, what kind of storage are you considering? Top boxes
like EMC Symmetrix
or those more simple like HP MSA 1000? What RAID level?

Or backup to disks is really slower?

thanks