Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Job Requeue Timeout Setting?

2006-02-20 17:26:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Job Requeue Timeout Setting?
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT org (Tim Hoke)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:26:56 -0600
Let me try to clarify...

Paul was mentioning these parameters:

As set with bpconfig or in host properties:

      -period hours
                The time interval associated with  the  configured
                number of tries for a backup (see -tries). This is
                the period, in hours, during which NetBackup  will
                attempt  a backup job for a client/policy/schedule
                combination for as many tries as configured. hours
                must  be  a  positive  integer.  The default is 12
                hours.

      Note:     This attribute does  not  apply  to  user-directed
                backups and archives.

      -tries times

                The number of retries for  a  backup,  during  the
                configured  time  period  (see -period). NetBackup
                tries  to  run  a   backup   job   for   a   given
                client/policy/schedule combination this many times
                in the configured period. This allows you to limit
                the  number  of  backup  attempts  should repeated
                failures occur.

      Note:     This attribute does  not  apply  to  user-directed
                backups and archives.

                Usually the number of tries should be greater than
                0.  Specifying  0 for the number of tries is legal
                but stops all scheduled backups. The default is  2
                tries.  If  defaults  are used for both -tries and
                -period, NetBackup will attempt the backup 2 times
                in 12 hours.

The requeue based on the above values will be for ANY type of failure.
The retry is based on the scheduler wakeup interval and priorities and
that kind of thing.

I suspect that what you are looking for is more along the lines of
these settings as they apply to "219" errors (set in bp.conf):

QUEUE_ON_ERROR

Causes jobs to enter the requeued state when scheduled, if the required
storage unit is not available. The jobs will then run when the storage
unit becomes available. If this entry is not present, the job fails with
a 219 status. By default, this option is not present and jobs fail with
a status code 219 if the storage unit is not available.
You can add this option to the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file on
NetBackup master servers. The following is an example entry:
QUEUE_ON_ERROR
This entry requires that the WAIT_IN_QUEUE entry also exist or the job
will fail immediately anyway with a 219 status if the storage unit is
not available. (See Chapter 7 of the NetBackup System Administrator's
Guide for UNIX, Volume I.)

TIMEOUT_IN_QUEUE

Determines how long a job can be requeued while NetBackup waits for a
required storage unit if it is currently unavailable. Default: 36000
seconds (10 hours). (See Chapter 7 of the NetBackup System
Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume I.)
The following example permits a timeout of 30000 seconds:
TIMEOUT_IN_QUEUE = 30000
Use this option by adding it to the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file on
NetBackup servers or by entering a value for Timeout in Queue in the
Timeouts host properties dialog. (See Chapter 7 of the NetBackup System
Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume I.)

WAIT_IN_QUEUE
Causes active jobs to enter the requeued state if the required storage
unit becomes unavailable (for example, if a drive goes down). The jobs
will run when the storage unit becomes available. A job fails if the
TIMEOUT_IN_QUEUE time expires or its backup window closes before the
storage unit becomes available. Default: This option is not present and
the job is not requeued. (See Chapter 7 of the NetBackup System
Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume I.)
You can add this option to the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file on
NetBackup master servers.
The following is an example entry:
WAIT_IN_QUEUE

HTH