Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bplist doesn't get user/group info for Windows files when run on a UNIX server

2006-02-20 13:43:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bplist doesn't get user/group info for Windows files when run on a UNIX server
From: gustavo AT cpqd.com DOT br (Gustavo Chaves)
Date: 20 Feb 2006 15:43:05 -0300
Hi,

I'm trying to get information about storage consumption from the
bplist output.  I'm running NBU 4.5GA on a Sun-Fire-280R running SunOS
5.8.

The server is backing up several Solaris, Linux, and Windows machines.

When I use bplist to get information about files backed up on any UNIX
machine I get something like this:

        # bplist -C unixclient -R 99 -l -s 01/28/2006 -e 01/29/2006 /
        drwxr-xr-x autotest  ccasedsb            0 Nov 16 09:28
/l/home2/autotest/
        -rw------- autotest  ccasedsb         4737 Jan 06 17:54
/l/home2/autotest/.bash_history
        -rw-rw-r-- autotest  ccasedsb          104 Nov 11  2004
/l/home2/autotest/.bashrc
        <...>

However, when I use it to list files backed up on any Windows client I
can't get the user and group information.  They both always appear as
'root'.  Like this:

        # bplist -C winclient -t 13 -R 99 -l -s 02/20/2006 /
        drwx------ root      root                0 Feb 20 14:26 /C/temp/
        -rwx------ root      root               41 Feb 20 14:26 /C/temp/asdf.txt
        drwx------ root      root                0 May 25  2004 /C/temp/CTRMNGR/
        <...>

To make sure I wasn't backing up only files belonging to the
'administrator' I created the file /C/temp/asdf.txt when logged in my
personal account which, by the way, doesn't have any superuser
privileges.  When I select the file in the Windows Explorer see its
properties (right click -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced ->
Owner) I can see that the owner is my personal account.

I've searched the list archives but could not find any reference to
this problem.

Does anyone know why bplist doesn't show the correct user/group for
Windows files?

If it can't, is there a way to get that information using another
command?

Thanks.

Gustavo.