Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sun GigaSwift (ce) cards

2006-02-02 21:29:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sun GigaSwift (ce) cards
From: danno AT internet2 DOT edu (Dan Pritts)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:29:59 -0500
> On the Sol10 network inquiry. They have rearchitected the stack so that
> UDP and TCP are not separate STREAMS between IP. They have combined them
> to improve on efficiency by about 20% on network transactions.  >

Lots of info here:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/networkperf/

> Has anyone used jumbo frames?  We are thinking about doing this on our
> backup network but I believe that ALL the clients that use that network
> would have to be configured for jumbo frames.  Does anyone know this for
> sure?

Everyone on the LAN should be configured for jumbo frames.  One way around
this would be to create a separate subnet/vlan that uses jumbos.  I'm not
sure that routers can handle different MTUs on different VLANs on the
same interface.   I couldn't figure out how to do it on my Juniper M10
but have not really investigated fully.

You should get improved performance with jumbos.  Whether you'll notice
any actual application-level improvement or not of course depends on
where the bottleneck in your network is.