Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4816 - 9 msgs

2006-02-02 16:04:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4816 - 9 msgs
From: Richard.Mickle AT mwrms.rrd DOT com (Richard.Mickle AT mwrms.rrd DOT com)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:04:24 -0600
--=_alternative 0073C1C486257109_=

Shawn,
Here is a snip from a Sun sight on the subject of backing up Zones.  I
think I got it off of the  Sun Big Admin sight.  I hope it helps.

Using Network Backup Software to Back Up and Restore Your System
You can use a product such as Symantec/VERITAS NetBackup to back up or
restore your Solaris system. Symantec/VERITAS NetBackup enables
enterprise-wide coordination of backups, archives, and restores. A
description of NetBackup support for Solaris 10 systems with installed
zones is available at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275107.htm.
The NetBackup client software is supported in a non-global zone. The
NetBackup master server and media server are supported in the global zone.
The NetBackup master server manages backups, archives, and restores. Media
servers provide additional storage by allowing NetBackup to use the
storage devices that they control, such as 4-mm tape drives.
You can restore entire systems or specific files and directories.
NetBackup locates the selected files and directories and restores them to
the disk on the client.
You do not have to change standard NetBackup architecture to apply it to a
system with zones installed. You can treat each non-global zone as though
it is a standalone server running the NetBackup client software.
The backup should be performed when the zone and its applications have
quiesced the data to be backed up.
Note: Your network backup software should be configured to skip all
inherited LOFS file systems if possible.
Tip: If you would like to consolidate servers or take advantage of the
higher-network bandwidth between non-global zones on the same system as
compared to wired networks, you can also co-locate the media server on the
same system. The connection between the server and the storage device must
have sufficient bandwidth for all backup streams.