Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 2 backup masters in one environment.

2006-02-02 15:29:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 2 backup masters in one environment.
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:29:51 -0700
#2, no problem.  I do it today.

#1, backups might work but I'll bet restores will fail.  If you initiate a
client-side restore, it contacts the master server, the first "SERVER = " in
the bp.conf file.  If you have two master servers, I don't see how you could
easily decide which one to contact in a restore situation.

Another option would be to do away with NB as a backup.  If you just mount a
bunch of disks on your DB servers, then RMAN can just do a backup to disk -
it doesn't have to send it's backups to tape drives.  The OPEN SBT_TAPE FOR
BACKUP can be   OPEN DISK FOR BACKUP.  Get yourself a big NAS device, mount
it to each DB server & you're golden.

If you love NB, then you could make one of the DB servers a media server,
mount disk to it, then backup to a disk storage unit defined off your new
DB/media server.

HTH - M