Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Alert Setting (Open for discussion)

2006-02-02 10:50:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Alert Setting (Open for discussion)
From: jpiszcz.backup AT gmail DOT com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:50:44 -0500
------=_Part_9025_2772791.1138895444383

Hi,

I have recently moved to new environment, which actively uses the tape aler=
setting in Veritas and has cleaning tapes assigned etc.
The drives used are HP-Ultrium2-LTO2, the same in the previous environment,
which I was responsible for.

As I recall in the NetBackup with LTO2 drives I read somewhere or a previou=
thread on this mailing list, it is not recommended to turn this feature on
as it causes more probolems than it fixes?  Can using the TapeAlert setting=
cause more drives to go down than normal?

I am trying to figure that part out as my previous main environment had 8
LTO2 drives which did not use tapealert.

The new environment has many more drives but they all use tape alert, does
anyone have any experience in large or small environments using tape alert?
I've always seen and followed the standard placing the NO_TAPE_ALERT file i=
/usr/openv/volmgr/somewhere as it had never run in the past in the previous
environment so I saw no reason to run it.  I realize the drives will get
dirty after a certain amount of use and need to be cleaned.  However, I hav=
spoken with StorageTek in the past and they do not recommend cleaning the
drives very often; although I guess that would depend on the use the drives
see as well.

Ultimately, I'd like to know:

1) Who uses tape alert?
2) Have you tried backups for an extended period of time with it on and off=
?
3) Does it create more problems than it fixes?

Thanks,

Justin.

------=_Part_9025_2772791.1138895444383

 alert setting in Veritas and has cleaning tapes assigned etc.</div>
ment, which I was responsible for.</div>
evious thread on this mailing list, it is not recommended to turn this feat=
ure on as it causes more probolems than it fixes?&nbsp; Can using the TapeA=
lert settings cause more drives to go down than normal?
d 8 LTO2 drives which did not use tapealert.</div>
does anyone have any experience in large or small environments using tape a=
lert?&nbsp; I've always seen and followed the standard placing the NO_TAPE_=
ALERT file in /usr/openv/volmgr/somewhere as it had never run in the past i=
n the previous environment so I saw no reason to run it.&nbsp; I realize th=
e drives will get dirty after a certain amount of use and need to be cleane=
d.&nbsp; However, I have spoken with StorageTek in the past and they do not=
 recommend cleaning the drives very often; although I guess that would depe=
nd on the use the drives see as well.
d off?</div>

------=_Part_9025_2772791.1138895444383--