Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media id's not appearing in NB media database

2006-01-26 09:54:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media id's not appearing in NB media database
From: MarianneV AT LechabileSS.co DOT za (Marianne van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:54:03 +0200
Hi

It seems nobody has noticed this:

> I have attempted bplabeling the tape again, and then assigning it with
> vmquery -assignbyid.

The media is assigned because it was done with "vmquery -assignbyid". This does
not add an entry in mediaDB, which is why bpmedialist does not list this tape.

This was my offline response to Robert:

There are 2 media database files in NetBackup:
1st one is volDB under Media Manager (volmgr/database) that tracks hardware.
That is what you see when you run vmquery.
2nd one is mediaDB under NetBackup (netbackup/db/media). Each media server has
one. Only when backups are written to a tape does it get added to the mediaDB
of the Media Server writing to it. The mediaDB contains information all the
info listed in bpmedialist. The tape is now ASSIGNED to the media server.
Assigning it manually without backups on it might cause problems.

Regards

Marianne