Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can we use NDMP storage unit to backup regular windows clients?

2006-01-26 03:24:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can we use NDMP storage unit to backup regular windows clients?
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:24:03 +0000
Version 6 can share drives between NDMP and non-NDMP, but you say the
drives are 'directly connected' to the NetApp.  If they are SAN-attached
and using the NetApp HBA for tape, then you can also zone an HBA on e.g.
the Master server to the same drives...according to the theory.  That
could then back up the windows clients.

If the SL500 is SCSI-attached to the NetApp then I don't think you can do
it.

William D L Brown

"Sto Rage© " <netbacker AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
26-Jan-2006 05:25

"Veritas-Bu (E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Can we use NDMP storage unit to backup regular windows
clients?

We have a master server that connects to a SL500 robot. The drives in
the SL500 library are all directly conencted to a Netapp. We have been
using this to backup the netapp over NDMP. So far so good. Can this
setup be extended to backup widows clients? We are running version 6
of NBU. We want to avoid buying an additional LTO-2 drive.
Thanks
-G