Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] moving client from one policy causes a full backup!!

2006-01-19 07:27:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] moving client from one policy causes a full backup!!
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:27:58 -0600
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:29:56AM -0000, Kilpatrick, Mark wrote:
> Hi, I have backed up a client at level full last Friday and I have run
> successful differential-incremental backups on Monday and Tuesday.
> Yesterday I moved this client to another policy and de-activated its
> previous policy. Last night the backup ran at level
> differential-incremental but the client is doing a full backup (250GB).
> The other clients have done a diff-inc as expected. I am aware that
> backing up a client for the first time will force a full backup. I am
> not aware that moving a client to another policy would force a full
> backup.

That's the way it's supposed to work.  The policy name, schedule name,
and mount point make up a triplet that's recorded in the STREAMS file
for each client.  If any one changes, you'll trigger a full backup.
I don't like it either, but that's the way it's always worked.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org