Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplication job killing NB Catalog job

2006-01-13 09:09:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplication job killing NB Catalog job
From: perf AT peppas DOT gr (Jim Peppas)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:09:55 +0200
I've come across step2. Weird bug!!

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Eagle, Kent
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:16 PM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

Greetings,

Windoze 2K3 Master & 2 Media servers, NetBackup 5.1MP3 SSO, ADIC I2000 fiber
LTO2.

I have 2 interrelated questions:

1. We have 2 clients being backed up to the same DSU. The clients reside in
independent policies, but are often running concurrently, for at least part
of their active time. We have a duplication job we've set up as a vault
profile to duplicate the images to tapes. The profile is currently being
launched manually by an operator when they see both jobs have completed. I
would like to automate this process, but can't find any verbose notes on
bpend_notify.bat, which I think will do what I want? (P.S. - Windoze isn't
my choice: I'm fairly familiar with batch files & not afraid of the CLI ;-)

2. Other backups are running and completing while the process above is
transpiring. We've noticed that if all other jobs but the duplication
process have completed, NetBackup will attempt to run a catalog backup.
This results in a failure of the catalog backup with a "124" error which
says the one of directories was not available for backup. My guess is it's
one of the Master Servers catalog paths as it's still running the
duplication process. Manually running the catalog after this scenario is
always successful. If the duplication process and all other jobs have
completed the catalog backup is always successful.

Is there a way to have NetBackup treat the duplication step like a regular
backup job so it will not attempt a catalog backup during the dup? I can't
figure out why NB thinks the schema is quiesed when this process is still
running? We could try to script it to run after the duplication process, but
the duplication process wouldn't necessarily always be the last job to run
(due to growth, we might have other backups still running after duplication
has completed).

Thank you,

Kent C. Eagle
Wilmington Trust Company
Systems Engineer, MCP, MCSE
Tech Services / SMSS
keagle AT wilmingtontrust DOT com

Visit our website at www.wilmingtontrust.com

Investment products are not insured by the FDIC or any other governmental
agency, are not deposits of or other obligations of or guaranteed by
Wilmington Trust or any other bank or entity, and are subject to risks,
including a possible loss of the principal amount invested. This e-mail and
any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
who is the intended recipient.  Unauthorized use of this information is
prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please contact the sender
by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may
be on.