Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vmware virtual machines vs Netbackup

2006-01-11 20:47:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vmware virtual machines vs Netbackup
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:47:25 +1100
------=_Part_20033_6039817.1137030445236

That's only if you're backing up the physical host using the Redhat client.

If you're backing up the virtual hosts (ie - you install the NBU client in
the VM's) you still need a license per virtual client. I've had *this*
confirmed by Veritas. (although that doesn't necessarily mean it's
correct!).

I worked at a place that consolidated ~150 physical Windows servers to 5
VMware servers. They still needed their 150 NBU client licenses (all
Windows)

I worked at another place where we suspended the virtual machines and backe=
up the .vmdk images from the vmware host. They only needed one NBU client
license (Redhat)

Dean

On 1/12/06, Broun, Bevan <brounb AT adi-limited DOT com> wrote:

> Others have noted that is is doable and supported. What hasnt been said
> yet
> is that veritas only require 1 license (of each client) type to backup al=
> virtual machines running on a physical system. That is, veritas is
> licensing the physical hardware.
>
> I have confirmed this with veritas.
>
> For me, this recovers the cost of vmware esx server.
>
> BB
> --
> Bevan Broun
> Systems Engineer
> THALES
> Services Division
> W: (02) 9562 2861
> M: 0407 225 492
> F: (02) 9562 2857

------=_Part_20033_6039817.1137030445236

ient.</div>
t in the VM's) you still need a license per virtual client. I've had *this*=
 confirmed by Veritas. (although that doesn't necessarily mean it's correct=
!).
 5 VMware servers. They still needed their 150 NBU client licenses (all Win=
dows)</div>
hines and backed up the .vmdk images from the vmware host. They only needed=
 one NBU client license (Redhat)</div>
Broun, Bevan</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:brounb AT adi-limited DOT
com">brounb@adi-l=
imited.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Others have noted that is is doa=
ble and supported. What hasnt been said yet<br>is that veritas only require=
 1 license (of each client) type to backup all
icensing the physical hardware.<br><br>I have confirmed this with veritas.<=
______________________________<br>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nb=
sp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">
Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br><a
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.aubu=