Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vmware virtual machines vs Netbackup

2006-01-11 12:49:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vmware virtual machines vs Netbackup
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:49:52 -0600
* Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com> [2006-01-11
10:18]:
> Anybody running a Client and/or Media server on a Virtual Machine over
> VMWare?  We're going to have a requirement to starting backing up both
> Windows & Redhat Linux running as virtual machines.

Yeah, it works fine. We have several VM farms that we back up that way.
In some cases, the VMs back up faster than the original hardware the
systems were migrated from. we also had a DR situation where a system
needed to be restored and the only thing that worked was restoring the
backup to a VM.

Just treat it like any other client. As a backup admin, you'll never
know the difference.

You can get fancy if you want to with suspending the VM and backing up
the raw vmdk files and other stuff, but a "normal" client config has
worked fine for us.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com