Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore NBU tape with tar command?

2006-01-03 11:13:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore NBU tape with tar command?
From: aarmstrong AT tsbrass DOT com (Andrew Armstrong)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:13:37 -0500

--=__Part92B066A1.0__=

  I am in the process of putting together a disaster recovery plan in case =
our primary server goes down. This server is a stand-alone NBU server, =
backing up only itself, etc. I have no problems using NBU to do the =
recovery (bare metal restore, etc.), but those above me also require a =
vendor-independent recovery plan, in case there are "problems" using NBU =
to recover the data. I have experimented with using the NBU version of =
tar, and have successfully restored files from the tape. My only question =
is this: is it possible to make tar continue to the next backup set on the =
tape automatically? Currently, I am only able to restore small pieces of =
the system at a time (looks like 2000k or so). I am familiar with the =
option to span multi-volume archives, but I would like to see if there is =
an option to (for lack of a better way to put it) start at a certain point =
on the tape and restore everything from that point on, without prompts for =
user intervention. (The requirements for the DR plan dictate that a user =
with little or no admin experience should be able to do the recovery... =
this is NOT my requirement, but one put on me by those above)
=20
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
=20
=20
=20
Andrew Armstrong
Network Engineer
CNE CCNA MCP VCP
T & S Brass and Bronze Works
AArmstrong AT TSBrass DOT com
(864) 834-6785
=20
=20

--=__Part92B066A1.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp; I am in the process of putting together a disaster recovery =
[...]
above)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Andrew Armstrong<BR>Network Engineer<BR>CNE CCNA MCP VCP<BR>T &amp; S =
Brass and Bronze Works<BR><A href=3D"mailto:AArmstrong AT TSBrass DOT
com">AArmstr=
ong AT TSBrass DOT com</A><BR>(864) 834-6785</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=__Part92B066A1.0__=--