Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] port tunneling java gui UNIX

2005-12-21 10:54:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] port tunneling java gui UNIX
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:54:47 +0000
Not sure if this is useful to anyone but i got this working today so am
excited and thought someone may benefit.

I admin things remotely and need to admin various netbackup
installations. I have ssh access through to the backup servers but very
rarely am allowed the Java gui ports open so i can use the client
software installed on my laptop.

What i have been trying to do is to redirect this all through ssh to i
can point my gui to localhost and it forward requests through to the
remote java gui on the backup server and all come up with much faster speed.

If you normally run an Xclient and ssh -X -C user@backupserver  and run
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA & then this will be for you as that
method is beyond slow in my experience.

Ok, all i have had to do is this from my laptop.

ssh -L 13722:localhost:13722 -L 13724:localhost:13724  <ip of backup server>

Then create a hosts entry on my laptop for 127.0.0.1   <name of backup
server>

Then in the gui i just say server is <name of backup server> ( which is
really localhost ) and it forwards things through and works.

You could also tunnel to a machine which doesnt have any restrictions
between that and the backup server if you cant get to the backup server
directly.

ssh -L 13722:<ip of backup server>:13722 -L 13724:<ip of backup
server>:13724  <machine have access to>

Hope this helps people admin better :)