Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question

2005-12-16 13:51:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk volume layout question
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:51:25 -0600
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:52:05PM -0500, Johnson, Eric K wrote:
> We are in the early stages of migrating from Legato NetWorker to Veritas
> NetBackup 5.1. As part of our migration, we are adding enough disk space
> to hold one week worth of backups before they are staged to tape.
>
> When configuring our disk (approximately 9.6TB before RAID in a Sun
> StorEdge 3511 SATA array. NetBackup server is a Sun E450 running Solaris
> 10) are there any recommendations for how it should be separated out
> into volumes?
>
> Is it better to have one large volume? Many small volumes? What are the
> advantages and disadvantages to the given volume sizes from a NetBackup
> perspective?

With 5.1, a job will fail if the DSSU fills up.  There are no mechanisms
to throw a bunch of volumes at it and let NetBackup chose.  With 6.0,
this problem is supposed to go away.

For now, I'd think that you would want to create a single large array.

All of this assumes that all backups are created equally.  If there is
some stuff that you need to guarantee stays on disk for a week, you may
need to set up individual DSSUs for that stuff (we're doing this for
some Oracle databases).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA