Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can a cluster use a SAN media server license to backup bothe physical nodes?

2005-12-04 07:26:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can a cluster use a SAN media server license to backup bothe physical nodes?
From: smpt AT peppas DOT gr (stefanos)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:26:34 +0200
I had a little talk with a veritas tech some months ago about this and he
told me that If you install cluster aware media server you must buy full
media server license not san media server.

However you can use san media server to your cluster and use one of the two
tricks to make it work.
If you do not want to backup the node disks every day, install san media
server to both systems and manually add the device service to your cluster
configuration to failover with the application. Add a storage unit group and
make the nodes storage units member of the group. Put the storage unit group
the storage unit of the cluster policy.

But the better way to do it is to write a little script.
Make a policy that will backup up your cluster data name it cluster policy.
Make two identical schedules but override the storage unit with the node
storage units. Name them node1_sched and node2_sched.
Make a policy that will start the backup. Let's say it start_cluster_policy.
Put the name of the service as the client and storage unit the muster's
server disk storage unit (make one) Backup the boot.ini or any other small
file.  This policy will run in the active node of the cluster.

Make a bpstart_notify.start_cluster_policy script at both nodes.
The script must have the command
bpbackup -i -p cluster_policy -s node1_sched     for node1
bpbackup -i -p cluster_policy -s node2_sched     for node2

You can backup the nodes disks the usual way.
Because you will no't know the server that has the tapes of the backups
don't forget to put in the restore failover option of the muster server the
names of the two nodes.
Node1 -> node2
Node2 -> node1

Does anyone now how many agent licenses you need to backup an application
(exchange - sql .) from an active-passive cluster? One or two?

(Please don't guess, answer only if you know - This is a discussion (fight)
I have with my fellow techs)

stefanos