Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?

2005-12-01 20:29:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical catalog sizes?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:29:07 -0600
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:16:40PM -0500, John Priddy wrote:
> I currently backup approx 40 servers of Solaris, Windows, and Linux.
> I was poking around on the backup server the other day which contains
> the catalog and i saw that it was at 23 gigs.  Is this normal?

I think that my catalog is well over 200GB.

> It doesn't appear to be related to the amount of data on each machine,
> because some of the servers with the most data are also the smallest
> in size in the catalog.  As an example a machine that currently has
> almost 2TB of storage is taking up 500meg of catalog, but another with
> less than 40gigs of storage is taking up 2GB of catalog.

It's dependent on the number of files backed up.  Throw a machine at it
with several hundred million files like I'm doing and watch that sucker
grow.

> My question is do most of you see catalogs of sizes like this?  Our
> overall raw diskspace would be around 5 or 6 TB i guess. This catalog
> is only about 3 months old so far and I only have another 20gigs on
> that volume left...

Depending on your retention period, you may not have enough space...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org