Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups stuck at tape mount

2005-12-01 17:22:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups stuck at tape mount
From: sean_clarke AT softhome DOT net (Sean Clarke)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:22:27 -0000
Have you tried putting the tape into each drive in turn using robtest
and then try to see the tape by pointing an "mt status" command at the
relevant device file as obtained from tpconfig?

This will tell you if you have cross linked drives or not ie. You could
have the situation where NBU sticks a tape in robot drive 1, thinks it
is trying to talk to the device file for that drive when in fact that
particular device file is for robot drive 2 where there is no tape.
It'll just sit there until it times out.

Had this situation last week when an engineer from a storage company
that will remain nameless swapped over a pair of SCSI cables to test  a
drive and forgot to swap them back :-(

HTH

Sean