Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups

2005-12-01 09:01:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL vs. Disk based backups
From: Greg.Hindle AT constellation DOT com (Hindle, Greg)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:01:59 -0500
We are looking to phase out tape or most of it in the near future and
move to more disk based backups and then using ILM or HSM to move data
from higher end storage to lower end storage and then to tape (if
needed) for long term storage. We have been looking a EMC and
Falconstore. With EMC we will use new disks based on their module with
Falconstore we will reuse some older disk storage array that we going to
be removed. But the thinking now is to install a VTL with Falconstore
and use our old Hitachi storage as the backup storage. Money Is not a
issue here. What is the issue is that it must be easy to manage, and if
needed, be able to be reused if we decide to move away form VTL in the
future and not be stuck with something we cant use.

Greg