Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup of pst Files

2005-11-20 11:35:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup of pst Files
From: WTSmith AT Maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:35:23 -0500
praveen sundriyal wrote, in part:

    There is some problem backing up pst files which users save on one
    of our fileserver. We are unable to take backup of any of these
    files. The backup of file server completes partially everyday, all
    the pst files are shown under missed files. Is there any solution
    for this type of problem?

NetBackup can backup ".pst" files if they are not open for exclusive use
by Outlook.  This is certainly the case if people close their Outlook
program during the backup window (when they leave for the day).

In addition, Microsoft offers a (free) utility on their support web site
that will make a backup copy of a person's Outlook data (including the
".pst" files).   In this case, they run the utility when they want a
backup; it produces the backup as a file; NetBackup backs up that file
along with everything else ... everything but open ".pst" files.

I should mention a conflict ... at least in some people's eye.  Some or
most NetBackup administrators want backups with a status code 0.  Status
code 1 means that backup of something failed!  They might be tempted to
exclude ".pst" files because their backup fails.  IMHO, that would be a
poor decision.  Sometimes the ".pst" files *can* be backed up.  A
sometimes backup is much more valuable than none at all ... even if not
perfect.

In my shop, we tell people that in order to have their Outlook personal
folder information backed up, either they need to close Outlook when
they leave the office, or download the Microsoft utility and run it when
they want a backup.  Almost everyone uses the "close Outlook" solution,
some only on weekends.  Not great, but better than no education and
unexpected failed restores.

cheers, wayne