Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] A request for understanding the behaviour of bpsched command!

2005-11-17 16:27:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] A request for understanding the behaviour of bpsched command!
From: kemal AT econ.umn DOT edu (Kemal Badur)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:27:35 -0600
You are entirely correct, but going by the people who still run 4.5, I
am guessing the information will still be useful to a lot of people :)

Here's a summary that should be pretty accurate, since I got back from
training not too long ago.

The request daemon (bprd) starts the bpsched process on the master
server, either by user request, or by the scheduled wakeup interval.
This bpsched process consults bpdbm to determine (a) which jobs need to
be run, if any, and (b) to figure out the requirements of jobs that need
to be run. If there is nothing scheduled, this bpsched exits.

If there is anything that needs to be done, the initial bpsched process
(let's call that A) creates a worklist and kicks off another bpsched (B)
that is given the worklist. This second bpsched sends out what I think
is called the birth announcement for the backup jobs that need to run.
Then, each backup job gets its own bpsched process that are spawned from
(B). Each of those backup bpsched processes start bpcd process on the
media server required by the backup job they are running through inetd.
Then, this bpcd starts a backup and restore manager (bpbrm) for each
backup job. This process starts a bptm or bpdm (depending on what type
of storage unit you are using, tape or disk) on the media server, and a
bpcd process on the client, again through inetd. The client bpcd invokes
bpbkar to start sending data.

In the mean time, the bptm or bpdm process initiated on the media server
  figures out the stuff that needs to be done to start writing the data.
  If you are using tape, bptm communicates with vmd to figure out the
media to be used and ltid and tpreq to mount the media (and some other
stuff that I don't remember.) It also creates a child bptm that will be
communicating with bpbkar on the client and receiving and writing out
the data buffers sent by that process.

While bpbkar is sending data to bptm, it also sends metadata about the
backup job to the bpbrm process on the media server, which in turn feeds
it to the bpdbm process on the master to be entered into the Netbackup
catalog.

When bpbkar is finished sending buffers to bptm, it exits. When bpbkar
stops sending buffers, the bptm processes on the media server exit. When
  the bptm processes exit, the backup bpsched on the master sends a
notice to its parent, (B), and the parent sends out the end of backup
announcement, after which the backup bpsched is killed. After all the
backup bpscheds are finished, the (B) bpsched process first looks to see
if there are other jobs to be run, and if there aren't, the first
bpsched (A) exits. This signifies the end of the backup session, and the
last remaining bpsched process does some cleanup and kicks off a catalog
backup (if you configured your catalog backup accordingly.)

If you need more information, I have more detailed notes from my 5.0 for
Solaris class that I can look up.

HTH
Kemal