Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading 50+ windows clients

2005-11-17 12:50:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading 50+ windows clients
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:50:43 -0600
On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:01:04AM -0700, Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com wrote:
> The slow removal of BackupExec from our environment has inadvertantly turned
> me into an NT admin.  I've got 60 of the pesky little things now.
>
> Using "update_clients" to update a Windows client fails:
>
> Cannot update client wg-01
>         Invalid hardware type "PC" and/or operating system "WindowsNT"
>         or client binaries are not installed on the server.
>
> So - how are you all handling the upgrades (demonstrated by our current
> security hole patches) of bunches of Windows clients?  Do you just have
> elves that run from server to server with a CD?

We're doing it manually.  For Unix systems, the updates are nice and
automatic but for Windows we make the admins do the work.  That's the
penalty you pay for working on Windows :-)

And yes, I really wish Veritas would allow an option for a client to
suck down a new version automatically or for us to set flags on the
master server to trigger an update the next time the client needs to do
work.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA