Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple data stream and bpend_notify script

2005-11-08 19:21:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple data stream and bpend_notify script
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:21:59 -0700
There's the very slight chance of the race condition but it's really slim.

Since it appends only a single line to a file, the two streams would
literally have both end at near the same time.

The normal order would be:

write
check (fail)
write
check (succeed)

The race condition would have to be:

write
write
check (succeed)
check (succeed)

And that's really unlikely.

If you're worried, and since I wrote the stream number to the count-file,
then you could check which stream wrote to the file last:

echo $STREAM_NUMBER >>$COUNTILFE
if [ `wc -l $COUNTFILE|awk '{print $1}' -eq $STREAM_COUNT -a \
       `tail -1 $COUNTFILE` -eq $STREAM_NUBMER ]
then
  #count is correct and this stream wrote the last line
  rm $COUNTFILE
  ## Last stream processing
fi

Even more paranoia, you could use a monolithic command like mkdir to create
a lockfile that would only allow one stream to exit at the same time.

HTH - M