Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives

2005-11-07 10:11:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using lto2 media in lto3 drives
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:11:31 -0500
Mark, are you using an "intelligent" robot?

i.e. a robot that interfaces with the drive in some way, to tell the
drive what type of media is being inserted (ie according to label?)

The compatibility matrix I'm reading now inidcates that LTO provides 2
generation read back, and 1 generation read/write back across all
formats, so providing your LTO2 drives knew they were looking at LTO1
media, they should have been able to write to the media in such a way
that it would still be usable by the LTO1 drives.

I'm looking for the hard fact indicating that this indeed means the
drive can write the same format as one previous generation, or just that
it can write to the media type.

Paul