Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] IBM P-series + Linux + NetBackup = ???

2005-11-02 13:31:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] IBM P-series + Linux + NetBackup = ???
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:31:55 -0800 (PST)
--- "Greenberg, Katherine A" <GreenbergKA AT aetna DOT com>
wrote:

> Anyone else have a mandate to evaluate the IBM
> P-series (RISC-based,
> usually runs AIX) systems with Linux?
>
> We're looking at SLES running on these and Veritas
> has basically told me
> to go punt b/c we're the only people out there
> looking to doing this.
> So, I'm trying to gather support for my cause. My
> cause being, a
> supported client for NetBackup.
>
> Anyone? :-D
>
> ~Kate

im kind of with the (former) big V on this...  we are
an ISV and we are running SLES 8/9 on s390 and have no
customers for that platform!!! (at least there is a NB
client for that).  since we run other things on the
s390, its not much of a big deal to have the gear
around (with paying customers).

not trying to be a goober, just seeing why they would
not be very interested in doing it until the demand
increases considerably.

from the customer lines we hear from, 64bit on
amd64/emt64 is where the biggest push is.  we havent
heard any demands for linux/ppc.  id rather see some
clients for the ibm midrange and up gear, however that
is a pretty tough space to crack.

are you running linux LPARed?

http://mail.yahoo.com