Veritas-bu

Antw: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing / Streaming

2005-11-02 09:23:11
Subject: Antw: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing / Streaming
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:23:11 +0000
I think you may have misunderstood multiplexing and streaming.

Multiplexing as far as i understand it means you can write multiple jobs
from a schedule to the same storage unit assuming mpx values are set
correctly per drive etc. Multi streaming is creating a separate job for
different volumes on an individual server within that policy. You then
need to have the correct amount of jobs per client set and allow
multiple data streams on the policy.

This can be used for eg to backup / and /opt/openv if they are on
separate disks.  There can be issues with disk thrashing if you have new
streams on unix servers from the same disk.

I think you only really need deal with multiplexing here.

Hope that helps

Dave