Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netapp snapshot backups

2005-10-27 13:57:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netapp snapshot backups
From: netbacker AT gmail DOT com (Sto Rage© )
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:57:17 -0700
How are you backing up the Netapp? Via UNC path (CIFS) or NFS mounts?
If UNC or NFS mount, you could try to add the path of the snapshot as
your backup selection e.g.
/vol/vol1/.snapshot./hourly.0  <- for NFS ( or whatever snapshot you
want to backup)
\\<filer1>\<sharename>\~snapshot\hourly.0  <- for CIFS.
Note: I haven't tried this though, we use NDMP, but in theory this
should work. Only thing that may be an issue would be the archive bit,
since the snapshot is readonly, the backup process may try to set the
archvie bit and fail.

If NDMP, Netapp creates a snapshot before the backup starts.

-G