Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] choice of master/media server platform

2005-10-26 04:10:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] choice of master/media server platform
From: cballowe AT gmail DOT com (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:10:26 -0500
Given those requirements, I'd go with 3 v240s -- i don't know what the
real prices are, I pay educational pricing. I think a 2 cpu, 2g ram
v240 is at about $7K list -- but then you need the HBAs or whatever
you're going to be using to connect to the tape drives. The HBAs can
run $1-2K each.

In the grand scheme of things, though, you're going to be paying more
for the netbackup licenses than you are for hardware. 300 client
licenses is something like $200K, database licenses are expensive, SSO
licenses are expensive, tape drives are expensive. Server hardware
isn't where your expense is going to come from. In any large software
implementation, it's never the server hardware. Go with what you know
and what work best for your environment. If your project budget is so
tight that you need to trim 5% of the overall budget - re-evaluate
that choice.

-Charlie