Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] rman oracle backup performance

2005-10-24 15:14:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] rman oracle backup performance
From: NIGELPHI AT uk.ibm DOT com (Nigel Phillips)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:14:06 +0100
--=_alternative 0069A899802570A4_=

Hi guys,

Anyone seen this type of problem before - using old version 3.4 on HP
servers in an SSO environment all fibre connected to 20 x 9840c drives in
a L700e library. Problem I'm getting only affects oracle backups using
rman, SAP and standard backups no issues. What I see in  the rman backup
log is the data getting written then hangs then more data written hangs
etc till it gets to the point of opening database and then hangs again.
These hangs can be anything from 10 to over 60mins each time. Example of
main part of rman rcv script which is basically the same across the
servers.

run
{
   allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
   allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE';
   allocate channel t3 type 'SBT_TAPE';
   setlimit channel t1 kbytes 2097150;
   setlimit channel t2 kbytes 2097150;
   setlimit channel t3 kbytes 2097150;

   backup
     incremental level 0
     filesperset 10
     database
     format '%U' ;

   # now that the backup is complete, open the db.
   alter database open;
}
allocate channel for delete type 'sbt_tape';
crosscheck backup of database completed before 'SYSDATE-70';
delete expired backup of database completed before 'SYSDATE-70';
release channel;

Also the crosscheck seems very slow. I am not a dba (black art like
networks) but i assume nothing if wrong with the above script. What gets
me is the part where it says it is opening the database and nothing
happens for ages - talked to dba's but got nowhere they say they have no
problem with rman catalog and problem is netbackup, yet the physical data
is written quickly (checked NB logs for this)  but the bells and whistles
around rman can take an eternity. Any help comments will be appreciated.

By the way if Mark Donaldson reads this post you are the dog's danglies
your scripts and comments rock.

Nigel
--=_alternative 0069A899802570A4_=

- using old version 3.4 on HP servers in an SSO environment all fibre connected
to 20 x 9840c drives in a L700e library. Problem I'm getting only affects
oracle backups using rman, SAP and standard backups no issues. What I see
in &nbsp;the rman backup log is the data getting written then hangs then
more data written hangs etc till it gets to the point of opening database
and then hangs again. These hangs can be anything from 10 to over 60mins
each time. Example of main part of rman rcv script which is basically the
same across the servers.</font>
'SBT_TAPE';</font>
'SBT_TAPE';</font>
'SBT_TAPE';</font>
2097150;</font>
2097150;</font>
2097150;</font>
0</font>
is complete, open the db.</font>
'sbt_tape';</font>
before 'SYSDATE-70';</font>
before 'SYSDATE-70';</font>
I am not a dba (black art like networks) but i assume nothing if wrong
with the above script. What gets me is the part where it says it is opening
the database and nothing happens for ages - talked to dba's but got nowhere
they say they have no problem with rman catalog and problem is netbackup,
yet the physical data is written quickly (checked NB logs for this) &nbsp;but
the bells and whistles around rman can take an eternity. Any help comments
will be appreciated.</font>
post you are the dog's danglies your scripts and comments rock.</font>
--=_alternative 0069A899802570A4_=--