Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expert advice

2005-10-20 16:55:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expert advice
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:55:48 -0600
Agreed on the shoeshine thing.  But mux'd backups do hurt large restore
performance.

Four servers equally mux'd together would increase your restore time by four
since three out of every four
fragments would have to be ignored.  I discovered this when I was making
offsite duplicates from mux'd backups.  I had these huge duplication times
until I demux'd my originals.

Storage unit creation defaults to *No* fragments so I was suggesting that,
if not being used, they should be.  After that, it's a balancing act between
fragment size & restore speed & catalog size (since very fragment gets its
own catalog entry).

If performance in a DR setting is everything with very short
Return-to-Business times, then tape is out.  You should look to other
technologies, ie VVR, SRDF, etc.

-M