Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VSS In Netbackup

2005-10-18 09:23:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VSS In Netbackup
From: len.boyle AT sas DOT com (len boyle)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:23:14 -0400
Hello Simon,

VSS is  Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), you can find volumes of
information on the microsoft site. It is a snap shot service provided in
windows server 2003. Microsoft uses it
 to preform the system state backups. But it can also be used for snap shots
for exchange backups, and file systems. Or any data base/application that
wants to write to the vss api. Microsoft did things a little different in
that they wrote an api with others  writing hardware support. For example
EMC, Netapp, HP etc. And it does support recovering files from a  share with
the twclient installed.