Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP performance and tuning

2005-10-17 13:11:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP performance and tuning
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:11:35 -0400
I was told by someone at netapp, that because of the nature of the WALF
filesystem, block sizes greater then the current max, did not work out. I do
not believe that they have changed this in 7.x

I can say that we have seen jobs running over 30,000. Also a number well below
that rate.
It has a number of depends, like the filer hardware, The ontap software level.
The size of the object that one is backing up. The larger the better, as there
is some overhead to starting up a ndmp dump job.
Only doing one backup job per netapp volume. So if one has 10 qtrees in an
netapp volume, then one should only back up one at a time.  Doing three at a
time, each job will run less then 1/3 speed.

Of course the classic backup things, like the more small files instead of large
bulkly files will slow things down.

The netapp does the backup, but all the detailed info on the job has to go to
netbackup to store all that info in it's catalog.

len