Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 File Protection issue

2005-10-06 15:23:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2000 File Protection issue
From: Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org (Vincent_Mase AT harvardpilgrim DOT org)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:23:47 -0400
During a test of our ability to recover a Windows 2000 server from the ground
up we ran into some
issues w/ Windows File protection.  We attempted was to use a base Windows 2000
image installed on a
similar hardware configuration as the original server, with the same disk
layout and OS install
path, then  install the Netbackup client, run the restore of the entire server,
selecting overwrite
files, and reboot.   The server OS would not come backup and would generate an
error saying the
system cannot find NTOSKRNL.exe.  It was eventually discovered that Windows
File Protection may be
the root of the issue.  We laid down another base install, deleted the contents
of the
winnt\system32\dllcache folder and ran the restore and up came the server.   It
appears that as NBU
laid down the windows system files WPF replaced them with the versions
contained in the dllcache
folders.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has a reliable procedure
for recovering Windows
servers.

Vincent Mase

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be
privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete the message without saving, copying or disclosing
it.  Thank you.