Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux as a master/media server

2005-10-05 14:06:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux as a master/media server
From: SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:06:32 -0600

--=__Part41634B38.1__=

Mark,

I also use SSO and when adding new drives 1) found the sg/st files
would not get created as expected and had to create them manually and 2)
as mentioned by Cheryl, at the time of configuration, all shared drives
must not be in use.

So as far as SSO, I currently have 20 shared LTO II drives running with
no issues on SLES 8.

I also use the ENABLE_AUTO_PATH_CORRECTION in the vm.conf file which is
useful when after the drives are configured correctly.

-sj

>>> <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com> 10/5/2005 10:48 am >>>
We've been having the same problem with drive discovery.  In our case
it's a
problem with Linux vs Netbackup SSO.  If the drive is reserved by
another
server, then Linux doesn't identify the drive as reserved, it seems to
ident
it as down or similar.  It then doesn't build the drive into the sg &
st
links.

Since the Linux start routines for volume manager runs this discovery
every
time, it rebuilds the links every time and various drives come and go.

I opened a ticket with Veritas/Symmantec and after bopping around
inside
their org for a couple of days the response was basically, "Yep, that's
the
way it works".  The official work-around is to quiesce every drive,
identify
the drives, then comment the discovery part out of the start routines
so it
doesn't do it every time.

I stared at it awhile and managed to build in the missing drives by
hand.
Theoretically it's possible to do that every boot so you don't have to
mess
with the editing the discovery stuff out (and potentially having it
replaced
every upgrade & patch).

We're also having driver issues with our LTO drives on the v20 Sun
Opteron
boxes.  The moment the data starts to flow, the box crashes.  I don't
blame
Veritas on this, just adding it here for good measure.

Right now, I'd not suggest Linux for anything other than a dedicated
drive
arrangement (no shared drives).

-M