Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux as a master/media server

2005-10-05 08:56:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux as a master/media server
From: jlightner AT water DOT com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:56:52 -0400
We attempted to use Linux (RedHat EL AS 3) as a media server for our
setup which is SAN using Connectrix and Surestore to an L700.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to discover all the drives correctly so we
gave up and do network backups on it.   This despite the fact we were
able to get the Linux server to access the Clariion array storage over
the fibre SAN.

Oddly enough the other night I attended the local Unix users group
meeting which has many of the same members as the local Linux users
group.   I asked about this very issue and was told that Linux doesn't
do well with fibre.   They said that it appears that it recognizes
devices by a very specific array of information so subtle differences
such as the firmware level on one device can make it undiscoverable.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it appears that unless you buy an out
of the box solution designed specifically for Linux you may not be able
to do it.  I think Dell may sell this as in our installation they were
surprised to find out we weren't going to be using their library.   They
do have documentation for how to setup their library for Linux.