Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Resources & backup commitments

2005-10-04 15:47:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Resources & backup commitments
From: cheryl.king AT intrado DOT com (King, Cheryl)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:47:31 -0600
We have a similar environment as well and have two people who do
Monitoring (HP OpenView) and Veritas.  We do the restores and client
patching also.

Charlie,  I really like the idea of letting the admins do client
patching.  I'm going to implement that immediately.  We don't have
enough tape drives to let multiple people do restores though.

Operators do the tape eject, offsite and put in scratch tapes.  We train
them and provide ISO docs.  I think there is a lot of other day-to-day
stuff that could and should be offloaded to an operator type.  Ours
complain about the stuff I've given them.  I'm still looking for someone
to do restores, simple 24-hour trouble-shooting, tape orders and billing
reports.

We have limited resources and old tape drives (SDLT) so it takes very
close monitoring to meet our SLAs and backup window.  We will be
upgrading everything and adding some sort of disk backup technology, so
that should help.